Greetings All –
Despite the state of our county and our world, we still need to get out of bed, go to work and feel good about ourselves, right? An amazing hair style can provide that instant beauty boost for confidence and power. If you’re like me, you have experimented with way too many hair stylists and NYC salons, not to mention hair products. Fortunately, last summer I came across a new hair salon two blocks from my Harlem home: Dominik Mager of The Club by Dominik Mager.
A Harlem resident, Dominik saw the need for a full-service salon in the neighborhood. With the help of two friends and business partners, a strategic and creative alliance was established.
I had the opportunity to interview Dominik about his life and his new business.
EE: When did you realize that hair was your passion and that you wanted to do this as a career?
DM: I discovered my passion for hair when I was a little boy growing up in a small village in Germany. I would play stylist with my sister’s Barbies, then bribe her with new dolls when she threw a tantrum over her “made-over” dolls. Ever since I have been obsessed with the idea of having a career as a hair stylist.
EE: How did you start working with celebrities?
DM: I started my career as a hair stylist in Stuttgart, Germany. After a few years, I gained experience at some of the top hairs salons all over Europe and ended up as the head stylist at an exclusive hotel in Zurich. That is where I met Caroline Scheufele, owner of the luxury Swiss jewelry brand, Chopard. It was this opportunity that propelled me onto the global stage. Soon I found myself backstage at events such as the Cannes Film Festival, the Elton John White Tie and Tiara Ball in London, the Oscars, amfAR Ball and the Golden Globes, rubbing elbows with celebrities and models.
EE: Who have you worked with?
DM: My clientele includes Claire Danes, Rose McGowan, Blake Lively, Kaylee Defer and Josh Lucas, among others. (And Dominik styled my hair for this very blog. Click here)
EE: When was the moment you realized, “OK, I made it!”
DM: It was precisely on July 6th, 2016, the day that The Club By Dominik Mager opened its doors to the public! That was one of the proudest days of my life.
EE: What is the philosophy you live by?
DM: Whether I’m working with a red-carpet celebrity, a stay-at-home-mother or an executive, beauty is individual. My job is to continually improve myself so that I can make every client feel relaxed, beautiful and be the best that he or she can be. That’s my passion — and what I was born to do.
EE: What are some “must-have” beauty products for women?
DM: These are my recommended beauty products for every woman, no matter her age.
- Cloud 9 Miracle Repair System, which includes Cloud 9 Miracle Repair Shampoo, Cloud 9 Miracle Repair Treatment and Cloud 9 Hotshapes, a thermal protection spray.
- Supersilk Leave-In Treatment conditioner for a frizz-free look.
- Movable Hairspray by Brocato.
- Vibrastrait Iron, an oscillation flatiron to curl or straighten the hair.
- Actives by Brocato a restorative hair infusion.
- Batiste Dry Shampoo
- Beauty Blender to blend in your makeup
- A great round brush
- Dior voluminizing mascara
- Givenchy Teint Couture Embellishing Concealer.
EE: What is your #1 hair care tip?
DM: Don’t wash your hair too often and use a great dry shampoo instead. It will really help boost the volume.
EE: Ten years (or sooner) from now you will be…
DM: Flying from one metropolitan city of the world to another, checking in on the team at all locations of The Club by Dominik Mager Empire!
EE: Thank you Dominik! I see this all happening for you in a New York minute!
For an added bonus, Dominik shares his tips on dry shampoo. Something good to know for us busy New Yorkers!
- If you hate squeaky clean hair, dry shampoo voluminizes hair and gives you that perfect body and texture of second-day hair. Spray throughout styled waves or a fresh blow out, dry shampoo will help break up the hair, add volume and give your look an edge without weighing down the hair.
- If you hate the weight or sticky feel of hairspray, you can sub in dry shampoo before you style to give your hair some grip. This comes in especially handy with braiding. Spraying the hair before braiding gives a matte non-slip texture to the hair, making braids easier to style and gives a gentle hold. For additional texture, use your fingers and rub the hair after braiding.
- If bobby pins are always slipping out, spritz the hair with a bit of dry shampoo and it should lock pins in place.
- If your bangs are pulling a “Lydia Deetz” on your forehead in the muggy heat, lightly spray the underside of your bangs with dry shampoo to prevent them from sticking to your forehead.
- If you’re blonde and you’ve waited too long to get the roots touched-up, a color-coordinated dry shampoo sprayed on the roots can conceal them.
- Consider dry shampoo for a hair reboot. If you want to switch your part or if you are unable to sleek down your hair after an updo, spraying dry shampoo near the roots will give the hair flexibility so you can mold it into a different style.
- A nighttime dry shampoo application can help to absorb oils and dirt for a clean, fresh mane. Spray some product on your roots and tie your hair in a top knot before bedtime.
- If you think your brows could use a bit of plumping, spraying a bit of dry shampoo on your finger and brush your brows to make them look voluminous. Note if you use colored dry shampoo, use the same color for your brows.
The Club By Dominik Mager
2276 Frederick Douglass Blvd. @ 122nd Street
New York, New York 10027